This is not a trick question. There is a difference between solar power and solar energy. We often use them interchangeably but one has been a part of man's technology almost since the beginning of time. The other is more recent and has only become a widespread phenomena in very recent years. Energy or power, they are soon to become a way of life for all of us. Even if we don't personally participate, we will all be affected by the results of their growth.
With this essay I am trying to speak to those interested in their future, in the environment, in financial stability, in better health, in, oh, so many other aspects of life. We have a unique chance to prepare for the future now. We have the information and facts to pursue a better way of life right here on the Internet. We also have a chance to become rich, or at least not as poor as we are. There is a budding industry that rightfully belongs to the people which will soon be taken away if we don't act soon.
The true facts about solar energy are often obscure or purposely hidden by those who wish to maintain their positions of control within our society. This link will take you to a site that has true facts and not old wives's tales. There are dozens of such sites this just happens to be the first one that popped up in my Search. In this and future articles I would like to discuss and dispel the untruths about solar and to influence the reader to investigate for him/her self. There are a lot of people trying to make money off of the information that is available to all FREE if you just go look or inquire. One caveat, there is a lot of outdated information posted on the Internet so make sure you are getting the most recent. The technology and information about solar energy and the products associated with it are changing hourly.
Things we need to know:
- How can I become a part of the growth of solar energy? Just by learning and researching you become a part of the solution to our energy problems. By investing just a little money in a simple battery charger type solar system you will become a solar advocate. But learn all you can first, just do it now. If the Indians can do it, we can too!
- How much does it cost? That is one of the beauties of becoming a solar enthusiast. It only requires the money or investment you want to put into it. There are certain practices and habits you can learn that will make solar energy a full partner in your life and lifestyle. Simple things like closing blinds to bright sunlight in summer are all a part of using solar energy. This one costs you nothing except the time and energy to close the blind. It might also help you trim that waist line. Be careful when learning about costs, much info available is there because it is what the big guys want you to think. Almost all of what you see currently is out of date. Make sure you make a deep study of costs.
- What kind of skills are needed to DIY? It takes little or no skill to close blinds but if you progress to being a real advocate you may need to learn to use a screw driver and a pair of pliers. Being able to do very light soldering would help. Almost any of the normal trades can become involved in the future of solar energy. For the foreseeable future there will be millions of jobs made available to those with good skills as well as those without. Almost anyone has or can achieve the skills to become a solar technician.
- Do I have to do it all at once or can I ease into it? Here again, solar becomes easy, gradual and set at a pace you the user can handle. You can go from charging your cell phone to powering an industrial complex. You don't have to jump in all at once. In fact, I would argue against that. As you learn and become more knowledgeable you will find there are so many variations that one will fit you to a tee.
- How will this save me money? Hey, it may even make you money. You will save right off the bat because you will soon be aware of how much energy you are currently wasting. I have read where the average person who studies and becomes a solar user will reduce his/her energy costs by up to 30% just by thinking solar. That may sound unreasonable but when is the last time you thought about turning off lights not in use. Or keeping the door closed in Winter. There can be savings galore.
- How will this produce jobs and stabilize the economy? The final beauty! When people in large numbers become solar users there will be a shift in the economics of energy that will change the world. Instead of paying large corporate entities to supply you, they very well might end up paying you for your excess. As to jobs, the current grid system will be needed long into the future. Right now that grid system is strained and in need of common everyday maintenance. Utilities can be encouraged to update through current Utility and Energy Commissions, etc. There will also be jobs making all of the components required for full systems. Our energy economy will flip over and the people will be in control and ownership of large hunks of electrical energy generation. Think about it!
The links provided are just a sample. Find your own information any way that makes you comfortable. If and when I do another article on the subject will depend on the comments and results I get from this one. If you can't find an answer, ask. Thanks for being here.